5.2.rc1 : segfault with initial line style setting
KH.Moriyama
2017-06-01 13:22:55 UTC
Hi!

Thanks for the 5.2 rc1 source tar ball :-)
I am testing it on Linux Mint 17.3 MATE (64 bit).
I compile with the following configure options.

./configure --with-x --prefix=/usr \
--without-latex --without-lua --without-lisp-files \
--with-readline=gnu \
--enable-backwards-compatibility

When I start gnuplot with my personal initialization file ".gnuplot"
that includes line style definitions like

set style line 1 lt 1 lc rgbcolor "red" pt 1
set style line 2 lt 2 lc rgbcolor "dark-green" pt 2
set style line 3 lt 3 lc rgbcolor "blue" pt 3
set style line 4 lt 4 lc rgbcolor "magenta" pt 4

it dies with "Segmentation fault".
When those line style definitions are eliminated, gnuplot runs well.
And, once started up, I can load the same line style definitions
with no problem.
It seems that initialization commands other than the line style
definition do no harm.
I did not have such a problem with earlier versions.

Does anyone find the same problem?

Kiyofumi
Dmitri A. Sergatskov
2017-06-01 13:56:22 UTC
Post by KH.Moriyama
[...]
​I can confirm that on Fedora.
Gnuplot built with default options.​
Post by KH.Moriyama
Kiyofumi
​Dmitri.
​
sfeam
2017-06-01 17:01:22 UTC
Post by KH.Moriyama
Hi!
Thanks for the 5.2 rc1 source tar ball :-)
I am testing it on Linux Mint 17.3 MATE (64 bit).
I compile with the following configure options.
./configure --with-x --prefix=/usr \
--without-latex --without-lua --without-lisp-files \
--with-readline=gnu \
--enable-backwards-compatibility
When I start gnuplot with my personal initialization file ".gnuplot"
that includes line style definitions like
set style line 1 lt 1 lc rgbcolor "red" pt 1
set style line 2 lt 2 lc rgbcolor "dark-green" pt 2
set style line 3 lt 3 lc rgbcolor "blue" pt 3
set style line 4 lt 4 lc rgbcolor "magenta" pt 4
it dies with "Segmentation fault".
Thanks for the bug report.

The issue seems to be that "set style line" tries to query the current
terminal, and in your configuration that hasn't been initialized yet.

For now an easy work-around is to add a first line to ~/.gnuplot

set term unknown # or anything else, just to have something set

That will allow the "set style" commands to execute, and the real
terminal type will still be initialized normally after the ~./gnuplot file is read.

Ethan
KH.Moriyama
2017-06-01 22:56:22 UTC
Post by sfeam
Thanks for the bug report.
The issue seems to be that "set style line" tries to query the current
terminal, and in your configuration that hasn't been initialized yet.
For now an easy work-around is to add a first line to ~/.gnuplot
set term unknown # or anything else, just to have something set
That will allow the "set style" commands to execute, and the real
terminal type will still be initialized normally after the ~./gnuplot file is read.
Ethan
Yes. It worked. Thanks :-)

Kiyofumi