Is minimal required platform Windows 7 only for the 5.3 or later for gnuplot for windows?
Tatsuro MATSUOKA
2017-07-09 21:29:34 UTC
I saw the below in the ChangeLog in cvs branch source

2017-07-07  Bastian Maerkisch  <***@web.de>
        <snip>
    * src/syscfg.h:  Minimum required API version is Windows 7 by
    default.  Vista and XP are end-of-service.

For gnuplot 5.2.x, is minimal required platform windows XP?

Tatsuro
Bastian Märkisch
2017-07-10 07:08:17 UTC
For 5.2 this hasn't changed in syscfg.h. If the Direct2D windows terminal
backend is included in the build, the executable will only run on Vista SP2
with platform upgrade or later, though. Moreover there could be
restrictions implied by the libraries and compiler chain used, in particular
Qt.

Bastian
Tatsuro MATSUOKA
2017-07-10 22:26:19 UTC
Hello

Thanks for the reply.
I understand the situation.

I really appreciate your successive efforts specially on gnuplot for windows.

Tatsuro

Allin Cottrell
2017-07-10 22:47:51 UTC
Post by Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Thanks for the reply.
I understand the situation.
I really appreciate your successive efforts specially on gnuplot for windows.
Me too, Bastian has done a very nice job.

But your "support for XP" question is similar to one I asked a while
back about support for mingw ("plain old" minGW as opposed to
MingGW-w64). It may well be time to drop support for old
Windows-related software, but I think this should be made clear in
the ChangeLog and among the "config" files in the source tree. You
cannot compile current gnuplot for Windows using plain old minGW any
more, though the presence of files such as config.mgw suggests
otherwise.

Allin Cottrell
Tatsuro
Tatsuro MATSUOKA
2017-07-15 10:44:59 UTC
Post by Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Post by Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Thanks for the reply.
I understand the situation.
I really appreciate your successive efforts specially on gnuplot for
windows.
Me too, Bastian has done a very nice job.
But your "support for XP" question is similar to one I asked a while
back about support for mingw ("plain old" minGW as opposed to
MingGW-w64). It may well be time to drop support for old Windows-related
software, but I think this should be made clear in the ChangeLog and among the
"config" files in the source tree. You cannot compile current gnuplot
for Windows using plain old minGW any more, though the presence of files such as
config.mgw suggests otherwise.
Allin Cottrell
http://gnuplot.10905.n7.nabble.com/5-2-rc2-tarball-now-available-tp20707p20758.html
Bastian> There's now a revision of the MS-Windows INSTALL section in CVS for 5.2.

Now windows section in "INSTALL" tells that config/mingw/Makefile is for MinGW-w64/MSYS2.

I think that config/mingw/Makefile is also revised in corresponding way.

Tatsuro